Happy Galentine’s Day!
February 13, 2017
Female friendships should be celebrated and today, Galentine’s Day, is the perfect opportunity.
One day before Valentine’s Day there is Galentine’s Day, a time in which women celebrate the other women in their lives. This unofficial holiday started off as a clever storyline on the hilarious NBC show, Parks and Recreation. The main character and all-around superwoman Leslie Knope (played by Amy Poehler) creates Galentine’s Day to celebrate her friends, co-workers, and her mom. On the show, Leslie says, “Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.”
Since the 2010 airing of the “Galentine’s Day” episode this unofficial holiday has really caught on. Some places even have Galentine’s Day specials. Listed below are five ways to celebrate Galentine’s Day with your friends and loved ones.
- Homemade waffles. On the show, Leslie Knope’s favorite food by far is waffles. For Galentine’s Day, consider sharing a fun meal with your female friends such as breakfast for dinner with homemade waffles. Try fun, new waffle recipes such as dark chocolate, red velvet, and sweet potato and oats.
- Play games. Share some laughs with your friends by playing some fun board games. You can play Scrabble, Sorry, Life, Pictionary, Trivia Pursuit, or simple card games. Plus, these games will bring back some fun childhood memories.
- Watch an empowering movie. Celebrate this fun holiday by hosting a movie marathon. Try watching some classics such as Waiting to Exhale, Thelma and Louise, Steel Magnolias, The First Wives Club, or 9 to 5. Or you can go to the movie theater and watch something new such as Hidden Figures.
- Arts and craft projects. Are your friends big fans of arts and craft projects? Consider making crafts part of your party. Your friends can make flower crowns, bath bombs, and sugar scrubs. Or you can bake something together like pink Oreo cheesecake cookies.
- Help other women. The purpose of Galentine’s Day is to celebrate other women, so consider spending this weekend volunteering for charities and organizations that benefit women. Domestic violence shelters, women’s rights organizations, and mentorship programs for young girls are great places to start.