Holiday Stress 911
November 29, 2017
911!? It’s the Holiday Season!
It’s the day after Thanksgiving and the December celebrations (Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanza) are upon us. Unfortunately, many of us are concerned about our finances during this time of year. Because of this, many of us are under stress about creating memories that will not hurt us financially in the new year.
5 Simple Tips to Create Holiday Joy and Less Stress
- Family meeting of the minds. Everyone in the family needs to be on the same page. Plan a meeting for your family to create a plan for the holidays. Make a list of goals, needs, and plans of each member of the family. A holiday calendar that lists each activity will reduce confusion and misunderstandings.
- Finances. At the beginning of the holiday season fill a folder with a list of people who will get gifts, the cost of the gifts, and the cost of any meals, new family clothing, and travel activities. This helps you feel in control, less overwhelmed, and less shocked when the bills come in later.
- Shopping. Buy as many gifts as you can online or by mail ahead of time and take advantage of early sales. You can give a gift certificate to the person’s favorite store or restaurant. You might purchase tickets online for concerts, sports events or the theater. You can give a gift to the person’s favorite charity in their name.
- Travel. Use a discount travel site to book your trip and save money. Travel with your favorite blanket, pillow, or music to lower stress. Plan your meals ahead of time so you are not eating junk food. Take a care package for each child with a snack, some entertainment, and a change of clothing for small children. All these tips will help you create a more mindful travel experience.
- Holiday Blues. If you are going to be alone during the holidays volunteer at one of your favorite charities. You may want to contact a relative you have not seen in years, an old friend, or neighbor. Try something new. Go on a trip with a ski, running, or sports club and meet new people.